Monday, December 18, 2023

CB : I'm thinking our being taught when young to read silently weakens our remembering what we read because reading it out loud puts it in our memory through two senses not just one . Reading to yourself is for reading around others sacrificing the method better for the reader to social situation of school or library.


Drew Johnson :I concur

JR: It's possible but I like reading to myself. I've had to evaluate both in poetry, silent and aloud through reading and readings. Public readings Aloud often bring out the blowhard, while reading in silence often makes poetry bloodless and intellectual. Don't know the answer

CB: I have a somewhat one-sided purpose in reading : to remember something to use in school, legal work or political writing . Reading out loud gives sound which might be pertinent to poetry .

JR: I love language. I don't agree at all with some of my favorite writers .Ezra Pound was a Nazi. I love some of his poetry, despise him

CB: Language is the Differentia specifica of Homo sapiens from other animals' communication system. It makes "higher " than other animals in Darwinian fitness. And "lower " than other animals in that it allows us to lie ( talking and in writing ) ; only humans can lie because words are using something to represent something they are not , a double-edged sword; we can tell truths and lies . Our brains are made to love language; it's a uniquely human instinct. We can tell lies beautifully. That's the way demagogues get over on so many. Beautiful Lies. Trumpy's lies are beautiful to 10's of millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment