Sunday, September 6, 2026

From 2009

From: PHILLIP BROWN Date: April 6, 2021 at 12:07:24 PM EDT To: Beverly Brown , Charles Brown Subject: Fw: Remembering Chuck  Notice, I have the dates wrong in this 2009 email. ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: PHILLIP BROWN To: "bettdede@att.net" Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 09:32:35 PM EDT Subject: Re: Remembering Chuck yep. --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Cordelia Brown wrote: From: Cordelia Brown Subject: Re: Remembering Chuck To: psb2@prodigy.net Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 11:09 PM Beautiful, Phil dear. Typically, I laughed out loud. You forgot to mention how expensive it was, but then we were paying for a good time. Can you print it out for me please? From: PHILLIP BROWN To: Beverly E. Brown ; Charles DeHaven Brown ; Cordelia Brown Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:14:53 PM Subject: Remembering Chuck Dear Bett, Bing and Bev: Easter Sunday was a good day this year. It was simple but pleasant. The Sun shined brightly, though the air was cool, almost cold. I went to Church this Easter for the first time in many, many years. I think I was trained by Bett and Chuck not to go to Church on Easter Sunday because so many people (like us) who hardly ever went to church, would show up on Easter, all dressed up. like somehow that would make up for all the missed days. But this year, I think I've only missed one Sunday (not because I'm becoming more religious. I'm just concerned about the financial problems of Christ Church, so I'm trying to get there each week to give them a check. I don't want the Church where Chuck's ashes are stored to go bankrupt and close). so I went. The service was nice. Bett, Bing and I went to dinner at a restaurant on the River. We were the only customers! The way the staff looked at us with such surprise, we may have been the only ones for the whole day! The dinner was a typical Brown family gathering. We had a good time; mostly talking and joking about how bad the food was. Bing hated the corn chowder soup, Bett hated her mashed potatoes, and requested a replacement baked potatoe, and I thought I detected mold on one of the rolls. But I ate it anyway, because Bett assured me that it wasn't mold. Of course, we argued about different things, including whether Obama is selling us out. Also, we couldn't agree on whether Uncle Russ had been transferred to U of M Hospital from Henry Ford Hospital just before he died in 1989. Bev, you would have loved it. I told Bett that you had the capability to do a live webcam from Jersey, but I don't think she understands what that means. It would have been really neat if we had hooked up the lap top right there during the dinner, so that you could share in the fun! And even though no technology currently exists to webcam with the departed, I know Chuck would have enjoyed the dinner, and he would have had plenty of one liners that would have kept us all laughing. Every day, my memory seems to show another sign of deterioration. I had it fixed in my mind that Dad died on April 13, 2004. When in fact he died in the early hours of Saturday April 12, 2004, the morning after Good Friday that year. None of us mentioned that this April 12 was the 5th Anniverary of Dad's passing. Maybe it's a good thing that the actual date of Dad's death is fuzzy for me. Afterall, when I think of Chuck, I really don't think about his last days. I think about all those good days before; especially holidays like Easter when we would gather together. In our adult years, we didn't go to church, but we would gather together and eat a good meal and laugh a lot. Ours is a special, unique, sometimes strange; but very loving family. We all love each other very much, even when we all cannot be together. Easter Sunday was a good day this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment